Christchurch is the largest city in the South Island of New Zealand and is known as the Garden City, as it has many lovely parks and green spaces. Hagley Park, the Botanical Gardens and Riccarton Bush are all just a short walk from Vita Nova.
Vita Nova is ideally located in Riccarton, making it easy for you to see many of the city’s attractions, either on foot or by using public transport.
Nearby places of interest include:
- Bush Inn shopping centre
- Hagley Park and the Botanical Gardens
- Riccarton Bush
- Westfield Mall - Christchurch's largest shopping mall
- Hagley Golf Course
We are conveniently located for guests wanting to visit:
- Christchurch Casino
- Addington Raceway
- Christchurch Hospital
- Canterbury University
- Close to Christchurch International Airport
- Bus stop right outside the motel
- Close to the Christchurch Railway Station
Other local attractions
- Air Force Museum - The Royal New Zealand Air Force Museum in Christchurch is a “must see” for anyone even remotely interested in military aviation.
- Willowbank Wildlife Reserve - For the best kiwi viewing come to Willowbank and see our North Island Brown Kiwi in the nocturnal house.
- Orana Wildlife Park - Set on 80 hectares of park-like grounds, Orana Wildlife Park is New Zealand’s largest wildlife and conservation centre and only open range zoo. The Park is located within ten minutes drive of Christchurch International Airport and 20 minutes drive from us.
- The International Antartic Centre - Housing the Antarctic Attraction, this internationally renowned display and theme museum is adjacent to Christchurch International Airport, just 15 minutes drive from central Christchurch and 8 minutes walk from the airport terminal. Visiting the Antarctic Attraction is a great way to spend a few hours in between flights!
- Hamner Springs Hot Pools - Situated in the unique alpine village of Hanmer Springs 90 minutes drive north of Christchurch, it offers relaxing and stimulating attractions including bathing in hot pools, walks, jetboating, horse trekking, and bungy jumping.
- Akaroa Harbour Cruises - Experience the local marine life of picturesque Lyttelton Harbour on a two-hour wildlife cruise aboard a catamaran. Watch the rare Hector’s Dolphins, found only in New Zealand. You’ll also engage in a spot of sightseeing and hear about the history of the area.
- Skydive Tandem - Skydivingnz.com and New Zealand Skydiving School is based at Wigram Aerodrome, only 15 minutes from the central city, making it the only city-based skydiving centre in New Zealand. A courtesy coach is available from the central city for visitors to Christchurch wanting to experience an unforgettable skydiving adventure.
- National Marae - The experience includes a powhiri and a ceremonial welcome onto the Marae including the traditional warrior challenge (Wero). Visitors are conducted on a tour of the Marae meeting houses and given a chance to sample earth oven cooking with a selection of Hangi food. The evening is completed by a performance of the Marae’s cultural group, including poi dances, action songs and the famous Haka.